A burst pipe is both an inconvenience and a considerable expense. Just a small crack can release vast amounts of water, damaging masonry and plaster, carpets and other contents.
You can reduce your chance of suffering a bust pipe loss by following these simple steps:
- Boilers and heating systems should be serviced regularly and the thermostat needs to be working correctly
- Ensure you know where to turn off the water supply
- Check the insulation around your water pipes and cold water tank – if they are in the loft or another vulnerable space they should be lagged or similar
- Turn external taps off and disconnect any hoses
- Keep your heating on during the winter months.
What if your pipes are frozen…
If you have a frozen pipe, don’t wait for it to burst. Turn off your water supply immediately and then slowly warm up the affected pipe by introducing gentle heat, such as with a hairdryer, space heater or hot water bottle. Do not use a blow torch or other open flame.
If you do come across a burst pipe, turn off the water supply at the stopcock and do your best to catch any excess water in a suitable container. Avoid using any electrics if you believe these may have been affected by the escaping water. Before using your electrics again, you’ll need to have them checked by a professional electrician.
Devices are now available which can detect extreme water flow and send a warning or even automatically turn off the water. Leak detection systems are also available, which will send a notification to a designated person enabling them to take appropriate action and hopefully minimise any damage.
What if your property is unoccupied…
- Keep the property heated to reduce the chance of a pipe freezing
- If the premises will be unoccupied for a long period of time, drain and turn off the your water system
- Ask a friend to check on the property daily. This may not prevent a loss but early identification can help reduce the ultimate cost.
Lansdown Insurance Brokers are experts in Blocks of Flats Insurance, High Net Worth Insurance and Business Insurance. We can provide flexible policies to suit individual client needs and give advice on what cover is needed. For more information call the team on 01242 524498.